Friday, June 10, 2016

Lessons to learn over and over

When Jackson was a toddler and whining about something, I learned to say, "That's really frustrating, huh?"  My co-worker who had children in college taught me to follow up with, "I'm sorry I can't help you fix that," if nothing I did stopped his whining. I'm not sure if any of you have experience with toddlers who have a fit because their blanket (or sock, sticker placement, or block tower) isn't "just so", but it can be maddening.
When Jackson got a little older, I learned to listen and not always advise.  But for some reason, I forget that this can apply to anyone in my life. 

I don't need to fix people's problems just because they are complaining to me.  And more importantly, they probably don't want me to.

I used to have these huge, disk-shaped earrings that a friend and co-worker Julie called my "shit shields" because she imagined they deflected anyone's negativity or BS.  Julie was a great source for positivism.  I can still hear her saying, "Why lament?"  Lesson to remember:

I do not need to let other people's negativity seep into my own thoughts or feelings.  I am my own separate entity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment