Thursday, June 2, 2016

Squash Beetles


While on a run today I told my friend Steph about my idea that curbing negative thinking, and thereby increasing my blissfulness, is like cutting back on calories consumed or cutting back on spending.  The first step is to make myslef aware of my negative thoughts.  She suggested I write them down, the way you write down the calories you consume or the money you spend.  I think this is worth trying.  It would be a way to purge and to examine for patterns.  I'm going to try it.  It just so happens I have an extra little pocket notebook and its color is black.

My tomatillos already have squash beetles and a few of my beans' leaves look like lace. Come on!  There are only two leaves per little shoot!  I entered the garden with a bucket of soapy water to eradicate the pests from my seedlings.  The act of closely inspecting the leaves and a-ha!  discovering flea beetles on the beans and then washing each leaf, one at a time put me in a state of "flow".  It was meditative.  At the lower garden, I picked off each squash bug and dropped it into the soapy water, then lovingly washed those plants too.  While I was down there, I got a good look at a tomatillo flower for the first time.

I love it when something negative begets something positive.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard it's easier to frame things positively and follow through on those, rather than the reverse (e.g I will think more positive thoughts rather than I won't think negative thoughts; I will eat all these healthy foods rather than I can't eat unhealthy foods and I will do more for less rather than I won't spend as much money). I don't know, either way I find willpower and self control to be the paramount life challenge!

    ReplyDelete